Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Croutons

Believe it or not, I actually have a recipe for you today! You have to change it up every once in a while, right?!

A few weeks ago we had company in town and we were left with tons and tons of extra hot dog and hamburger buns. Do you ever wonder what to do with them all? I hate throwing them away. Instead, I make croutons! This is so simple to do and not only can you use them on a salad but you can eat them as a small snack like my boys do.

All you do is cut them into squares.

I had about 8 cups of bread cubes when I was done cutting!

I used about 1/3 of a cup of veggie oil and tossed it over the bread cubes. After doing this, I decided it needed a little more oil so I added in about a 1/4 cup more of veggie oil. If you want and extra richness to them, try adding a bit of butter.

This is when the possibilities are endless. The seasonings. For this recipe I used our favorite, Johnny's Seasoning Salt and a little Garlic Powder plus a pinch of salt and black pepper. However, you can use any seasoning that you like. For example, my husband made a batch one time that tasted like Thanksgiving Dressing. It had sage, garlic, onion....It was tasty!

Make sure to mix all the bread cubes and seasoning together and spread it out on a sheet pan. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. The trick is low and slow. Mine took about an hour, flipping them every 20 min. or so. You want them to dry out all the way to the center. No one likes a chewy crouton.

Finally, you'll have a delicious salad topping that was made especially by you! Seriously, it's cheaper that buying store bought croutons and you can control the amount of seasoning and oils that go into them. I hope you'll give this a try...it's too easy not to.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... Never thought about doing that. We usually host a freewill donation meal at our town's annual 4th of July event and have tons of buns left over. I'm definitely going to bookmark this and try it next year. My kids love croutons. They eat them like potato chips! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I hope we both get some cooler temps.
    I have got to try the croutons. My son is 18 and it still trys to eat the whole bag of croutons. Makes my poor hubby so mad to fix a salad only to find there is none left. We usually feed the old bread to our chickens, but they might miss out on that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so good!

    hey - - -

    you might want to check out the blog post this morning!!! you are the winner! ;)

    kellie

    ReplyDelete