Wednesday, April 18, 2012

DIY Fire Pit
 It's not too often that you see a big group of guys in a blog post, right?!  Well, this past Sarturday my Father-in-law and Brother-in-law came to help us celebrate my Husband's 33rd Birthday.  What better way to end the day than sitting around a fire. 
We knew we wanted to do this the weekend they came over, so the weekend before we spent a few hours building our own fire pit. 
*From left to right: My Brother, Derek.  My Husband, Brandon. My Brother-in-law, Gavin. Our youngest, Easton. Our oldest & in the Darth Vader mask, Jaxon. My Father-in-law, Nick.
 Thank you to my Brother Derek for taking all of the following pictures with his phone as I had not yet received my camera.
First, we picked out a space in our yard that wasn't under any trees or too close to the house.  Safe is always best when it comes to having a bonfire.  Also, we picked out some landscaping pavers that are curved and perfect for making a circle.  They were only $1.22 a piece and we used exactly 23.  So, this whole project cost us around $30.  Not too shabby!
We layed them out to the size we wanted the fire pit and then spray painted the grass around the pavers so that we'd have an estimated area to dig.
 First, we dug the inside down to about 2 feet deep.  As soon as we had the walls of the inside nice and even, we put rock down to line the bottom.  Luckily, we have a rocky driveway so we didn't have to pay any extra for the small amount of rock you need.
 Our little helpers having a grand ol' time getting dirty!  They were already talking about making smores and telling stories of Bigfoot around the fire. 
 Next, my Husband and Brother(honestly, they did all the work on this thing) dug out the border down about 2 inches deep.  This was the tricky part!  You'll need a level and lots of patience. No matter how much we measured, this thing needed tweeking trying to line up the pavers.   
 The bottom was the easy part!
 When we did the top, they needed to be readjusted like ten times.  Pushed in, pulled out, scooched over, squeezed in....you know what I mean.  As you can tell, there are some gaps, however it worked out just fine. 
For $30 and a little hard work, we will have endless nights of smores and great stories around the fire this Summer.  I can't wait for it!

2 comments:

  1. Lovin' Darth Vader!! ;) Those guys did an amzing job! y'all are going to create some incredible memories! Thanks for sharing Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Tanya! And I'm glad to see you posting again. I've missed you! We have a big rock silo foundation that we use as our fire pit. And then I say big, I mean GINORMOUS. I should blog about it sometime. LOL! We can literally all stand in it and STILL have room. We debated tearing it out, but decided it be more fun to just use it for bonfires and such. Your kiddos are going to have a great time eating all those smores! :)

    ReplyDelete