Sunday, April 17, 2011

Makeover Of A Makeover


I got this cheese dome from a thrift store back in November for $2.80. It got a quick makeover and I was never %100 happy with it. I painted it black which was nice, but every time I put something in it you really couldn't tell what exactly was in it unless you were up close. Just a bit too dark. Plus, I loved seeing everyone else blog about how they put a candle stick on the bottom to give it a bit more height and substance. So, I decided it needed another makeover. I went up to my favorite Goodwill store in Lewiston and found this guy for .99 cents. WooHoo for a good find!! Sanded off all the black paint. Well, I did leave a tiny bit on, but it's OK. I wanted some of it to show through. A bit of Gorilla Glue does the trick to stick these two together. Doesn't it look hideous at this point?! But, with a bit of paint.... a little bit of time....
and a few coats!

A bit of sanding, and you have this cute little guy...


TA DA!



I think it looks so much better! I can actually see what's inside without having to crouch down to look inside. These things are so fun to put just about anything in. This was a quick and frugal makeover of a makeover.




Fun, Fun!























Domestically Speaking


Transformation Thursday


Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. I have two of those cheese domes waiting for a makeover. My problem is picking a color. I love yours in the distressed white. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great makeover!! I love how you did this and I love the sparkly eggs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah it looks awesome! I love the distressing! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings.. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your project at the craft catwalk. Now a new follower! Love the way this came out. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess @ makingoverthemartins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I LOVE this idea! I'll have to keep my eye out for a wooden candle stick now ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must look for a cheese dome and candlestick for this project! Great job! Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. Is there anything Gorilla Glue can't do. Love the thrifty makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the color .. looks so delicate with the pink and white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh. Very pretty! Your title was clever as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a great idea! I'll be on the lookout for a cheese dome and candlestick in future Frenchie Friday Finds! You did a great job distressing it too!

    Cheers,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea, I have the glass part but need something for the bottom, yours looks so lovely with the pink eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job! I love that you added the candlestick to the bottom; gives it that extra punch. :)

    Katie
    www.sweetrosestudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute!!! I just saw one of this cheese domes and didn't buy it, now I wish I would have!! Great idea!! I would love it if you linked up to my party so I could feature it!!
    Have a great day!!
    Tasha
    PS~I am your newest follower! Im excited to see all your other projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this so much! I want to find one of those cute little cheese trays to glue to my candle stick makeover from a couple months ago! Love it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable and wonderful! I will definitely have to try this out!!

    Stopping by from the dot dot dot linky party!!!

    Please stop by and check out my giveaway at:
    http://livingintaradise.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday at Dotdotdot!! I am featuring this today so make sure to grab a button if you like!!! Have a happy Monday! Hope to see you tomorrow!!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to buy one of those, but didn't know what I would do with it in between uses...now i know! i'll use it as decor!

    ReplyDelete