Wednesday, September 29, 2010

GLITTER SKULLS

I've been wanting to do this project since I saw Martha's Glitter Skulls in last years Halloween issue of Martha Stewart Living Magazine!
I couldn't find a reasonably priced large skull, however I found these paper mache' skulls at MICHAELS for $1.99ea. Not too shabby!
The Elmer's Glue I had already, but the Martha Stewart Onyx Glitter I also found at MICHAELS. This cost $4.99. It's a little more than I like to spend, however, I barely used any for this project so it will last me for several more crafts :)
First, I painted the skulls with just regular, black acrylic paint. I didn't want any of the paper mache' to show through the glitter.
Next, I watered down the Elmer's glue, painted it on the skull in little sections and sprinkled on the glitter.
*Make sure to work over a plate or something to catch the excess glitter. Pour the excess glitter onto a creased piece of paper so you can pour all the unused glitter back into the container. No waist here! Let it dry for and hour or two and....

VOILA!!! I LOVE IT!
I also had those cute little dollar store skulls and some dark rocks that I put in the bottom of the hurricane, stacked the skulls and it turned out wonderful.
Finally, I have a completed Martha inspired decoration for Halloween!
I linked up to these parties:

Photobucket






NightOwlCrafting









UndertheTableandDreaming

12 comments:

  1. You are so creative Tanya! I am dying to try some of these crafts myself, if I can find the time! We are throwing our third annual Halloween party for the kiddos here at the end of October so it would be fun to have some new decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand completely. My "me" time used to be naptime as well. The problem now is that Ethan is almost 6 and is outgrowing naps and I am now using that time to homeschool. Aside from the fact that we do not live near any craft stores and the closest one is 30 minutes away. I have to make the most of my trips to town, LOL. I hope to go this weekend though and get to work on these cute crafts you've been posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Courtney...Hope you have fun crafting!! Make sure to put them on your blog so I can check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!

    that turned out great. love a good deal at michaels.

    thanks for linking up to the FALL FESTIVAL!

    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!

    And thanks for dropping by and for your comment on my glitter pumpkins. Isn't her glitter just FABULOUS?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. came out great-i just saw alot of Halloween stuff with black glitter on it at Pier 1 yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I didn't know you should water down the glue a bit, great tip:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. I'd love to do something like this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great! I'm your newest follower!

    Melissa
    http://burstsofcreativity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog you have such great ideas and I love the title of your blog. I have given you the versitile blogger award. You can see it here at : http://afullcottage.blogspot.com/2010/10/absentee-blogger-and-versatile-blogger.html

    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a few of these on clearance last year... love what you did with them!

    ReplyDelete