First, my little helper and I sanded down the white letters. They were a little raised and I didn't want them to show through the new paint color! He's only 2 years old and already wanting to do projects with Mommy...I love it!
On all of the Black blocks, I painted the front an off-white color. I wanted to leave the edges a different color. Plus, it saved a lot of painting time. On all the Orange blocks, I painted the front brown.
Since they had a coating of spray paint years and years ago, it took them a while to dry.
This is where I wish I had some stencils or some vinyl letters! I looked online at some fonts I liked and tried to free hand the lettering. It could have looked a bit nicer, but it works.
I painted all the lettering black then let dry before I sanded the edges and a bit over the lettering. I really want to try Distressing Ink, but for this project all I had was my black paint. So, I put a tiny, tiny bit of black paint on the tip of my finger, dipped it in water and tried to distress it myself.
Not too shabby for some paint and my finger!
A close-up shot of one of the blocks. I'm really happy with how they turned out!
Finally finished. I think it turned out pretty good for a FREE project. This is my very first Thanksgiving decoration! More to come.
I linked up to these parties: